How to Get the Best Results Out of Your Breast Augmentation
Getting a breast augmentation is a big decision, and it's important that you have the information you need to get the best results for you. Sometimes knowing which questions to ask is the first big step. So let's walk through some of them together so you can get the results you've been dreaming about.
Choosing the Right Surgeon
This one seems obvious, but there's more to it than you think. It's also perhaps the most essential factor in your results. So how do you know which qualities to look for in a plastic surgeon?
- Credentials: Make sure your surgeon is board-certified, has a good background with their education, and has a lot of experience in breast procedures.
- Patient satisfaction: Reviews can speak volumes. Look for patient testimonials about the surgeon's skills.
- Before-and-after-photos: A picture can say more than a thousand words. Look for actual patient results and pay attention to incision placement and noticeability, breast symmetry, proportional sizing, and natural-looking breast shapes.
- Aesthetic Eye: Plastic surgery needs not just technical skill but also a trained aesthetic eye for shape, proportion, and form.
Once you've got answers to all those questions, it's important to meet your surgeon in person for a consultation.
Customizing Your Procedure
Breast augmentation is not a one-size-fits-all procedure. Every patient is different, and it's important that you know exactly what you want to get out of your procedure. Once you do, Dr. Horn can help you pick and choose the right options to get the results you had envisioned. Here are some of the different factors:
- Material: Silicone or saline implants? Both are safe and give you fantastic results. Each comes with its own set of advantages. Saline implants can be inserted into the breast before being filled, allowing your surgeon to change the size and volume during the surgery and also minimize incision size. Many women choose silicone implants because they often feel and look more natural than saline implants..
- Size: Do you want to go big or keep it more natural-looking? During your consultation, Dr. Horn will discuss which size levels might be best for you. If you're looking for just a modest change, you may even want to opt for using your own fat with a fat transfer breast augmentation.
- Incisions: You can choose to have an incision along your breast crease or around your areola. You have even more options with saline implants.
- Placement: Your implant can either be placed above or below the pectoralis muscle. Speaking with your surgeon about the options will allow you to weigh the benefits or downsides of both.
Choosing the Right Implants
Choosing the right implants for you can feel overwhelming, especially since there are so many options to choose from in modern breast augmentation procedures. But don't worry; board-certified Chicago plastic surgeon Dr. Horn is here to help you make the right decision and help you choose the safest breast implants for you. Here are some of the major deciding factors when it comes to implants.
- Implant size: This does not equal cup size. Based on your body, your surgeon will help you decide which size will get you to the cup size you are hoping for.
- Proportion to your body: If you're looking for natural-looking breasts, you have to choose a size that fits your body. Are you tall, short, or petite? All these factors play a role when selecting the right implant.
- What's your lifestyle?: Do you love to exercise? Certain sports might be uncomfortable with significantly larger breasts.
Some patients might want to combine procedures. For example, adding a breast lift can give you a more perky breast look than implants alone. Another option is to add grafting to create more customizable breast shapes.
Dr. Horn will walk you through all possible options during your consultation to ensure you're getting the desired results.
See Your Results Beforehand
The future is now. Thanks to 3-D imaging, you can now visualize what your results may look like. This is especially helpful to determine if you and your surgeon have the same vision. Even after extensive consultations, you might picture something differently. This visualization tool allows you to see for yourself what you might look like. The technology creates a 3-D rendering of your body, and you will be able to adjust the look of your virtual breasts based on different sizes and shapes. You can even focus on details such as symmetry and upper pole fullness. It's a great tool to help you better understand what your results will look like.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
You did it - you had the procedure done, and you love your results. Now it's important you follow your surgeon's instructions closely to minimize the appearance of scars. If you follow the aftercare instructions, it will also lower your risk of infection and other complications. Always be sure to cover freshly healed incisions with a good SPF sunscreen if your going out in the sun. That will prevent the darkening of the scars and give you the best breast augmentation results.