Saline Breast Implants
Saline-filled breast implants were approved by the FDA in May 2000.
- A saline-filled breast implant has an elastic silicone rubber shell and is filled with sterile saline (saltwater).
- During breast augmentation surgery, empty implants are placed into the newly formed pockets under your breast tissue and then filled with saline fluid to the size you and your plastic surgeon have agreed upon.
Silicone Breast Implants
Silicone breast implants were approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in the US in November 2006.
- A silicone breast implant has an elastic silicone rubber shell and is filled with cohesive silicone gel.
- Generally safe to use in women aged 22 years and over (or younger if the breasts have stopped growing).
- Silicone implants are available in different sizes, profiles and shapes and can have a smooth or textured shell surface.
- The consistency of the silicone gel can give the breast a more natural look and feel than that of a saline-filled implant.
- If an implant leaks, the gel tends to remain within the implant shell. In contrast to saline implants, a leaking implant filled with silicone gel will not collapse.
Gummy Bear Breast Implants
Gummy bear breast implants, also known as form-stable implants, maintain their shape even if the implant shell is broken.
- The consistency of the silicone gel inside the implant is thicker than that of a traditional silicone gel implant, making them a little firmer as well.
- Gummy bear implants are available in different sizes, profiles and shapes.
Breast Implant Profile
Low Profile Implants
As the name suggests, low profile implants are lower in profile (relatively flat in appearance), offer minimal projection and have a larger diameter.
- Recommended for women with wider chests.
Moderate Profile Implants
Moderate profile implants provide higher projection than low profile implants and have a lower diameter.
- Recommended for women with smaller or narrower chests.
- Tend to offer the most natural-looking results.
High Profile Implants
High profile implants have the lowest diameter (very narrow at the base) but provide maximum projection.
- Recommended for petite women with narrow chests.
- Tend to offer the fullest and most rounded results.